Saturday, November 3, 2007

Vision and performance

“The Vision to Performance Challenge”, ICMA Conference, October 8, 2007.

Citizen Surveys are a way for a citizen to “voice choice”.

I.Elements:

1. Planning
2. Budgeting
3. Measuring
4. Communicating
5. Evaluating

Planning: Develop clear objectives

Budgeting: Relate to Objectives

Measuring: Need tools to have effective measures. What Measures?

-Tell your story:?

-Help run operations?

-Does your boss want it?
Need right tools to measure

Communicating:

-Depends on whom you are telling/informing

-Broad range of reports to communicate

-“Diversified approach”

Evaluation:
-Data Verification

-Evaluation fuels planning process

II. Challenges to Change Management:

1. Executive-Provide vision and leadership
2. Structure (structure to support)
3. Resources (if don’t provide resources, isn’t a priority)
4. Training
5. Communication
III. How Make it Work

-Demonstrate value to employees
-Link performance to budget process
-Use information

Although I have heard and reviewed a lot about Performance Measurement, I still have some questions about it, at least for my city (other cities apparently find it valuable). For a City of the size I manage, I question using resources for detailed Performance Measurement. I’ll keep on reviewing it.

I was reminded during this session that I need to keep in mind that the Vision is supported by the Budget and other action plans.

No comments: