Saturday, November 10, 2007

Lincoln's assets

ICMA 10/10/07: Doris Kearns Goodwin, “Lincoln”

This is a followup to the book I previously reviewed “Lincoln and his Generals”. It was a pleasure to hear her go over the concepts in the book in person and also add some new perspectives.

-Lincoln loved Gossip-it is important for leaders to know what is going on.

Lincoln’s assets:

-Listened to different points of view

-Ability to grow in job (learned from mistakes)

-Shared Credit for success (build “bank account” of goodwill)

-Willingness to shoulder blame for failure of subordinates

-Create awareness of subordinates weaknesses and abilty to compensate for them

-When angry, able to control emotions (writing letters, never sending etc.)

-Resolution, strength to ahere to his goals, regardless of problems

-Ability to relax and replenish for next day

-Visiting the front lines, going “in the field”

-Community goals and objectives (vision etc.) to the country.

I feel all of these are important to leadership and my everyday job. I review these on a regular basis and review whether I am using these assets and incorporating them into my leadership character.

No comments: