Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Corrosion of Character

Richard Sennett, “ The Corrosion of Character


This was an interesting book that presented some new views (to me) on “downsizing/rightsizing”, the emphasis on “teams”. and a discussion on conflict.


Some observations of the book:


-Conflict: True discussion doesn’t exist without conflict. Conflict creates true discussion.


While I tend to see the truth in this, and I think it is something that needs to be discussed, I can’t say I agree. However, I will look at the discussion in the City in a new light in the future, and also I will look at the conflicting views.


-Teamwork is a destructive absence of authority-No one takes responsibility


-Teams create a short term perspective rather than a long term . I know this has been a major management problem lately, so I tend to agree with this.


-Entails a group ethic vs. an individual ethic

-”Only the current game matters”. No long term responsibility. I see this all the time in contracted work.


-”Good Team Player” doesn’t invite conflict to avoid delays, thus preventing a variety of views. (Especially where teams grade themselves.


-Downsizing:


-Constant redefining of structure (created by reduction in structure/lines of authority) and continuous change of the rules. Creates confusion and reduction on productivity, not an increase.


-Lack of connection and responsiveness leads to the feeling of not being needed, leading to more alienation and reduced productivity.


I found these thoughts very important in my current situation as we deal with changing environment and reduced revenues. I have always had some negative feelings about “downsizing/rightsizing” and the emphasis on “teams” instead of individual effort and responsibility.


No comments: