Saturday, November 20, 2010

"Gaming can Make a Better World"

CMA Conference, October 17, 2010: Opening General Session, Jane McGonigal, “Gaming can Make a Better World”.



I enjoyed this because it was a new thought (to me). McGonigal stated the premise that computer games could be used to resolve social and other problems. She cited two such games that had been used to resolve actual problems.


While I don’t know that I will start using computer games to solve problems, it still opened up some new thoughts. This is what I enjoy and find educational about sessions like this. It opens up a new thought path to me.


While I haven’t looked at the computer games she mentioned in her talk, I have discussed the concept with the staff and I feel it is opening up some new ways of looking at how to resolve problems.


We are looking at continued reduced revenues and I feel the discussions started about the “computer game theory” helped us derive some new ways of looking at analyzing our personnel, vehicle and other needs.


After I got over my initial rejection of her theory, I found the session was one of the better sessions I attended, as it opened me up to accepting new approaches. Also, at least one employee downloaded the games she mentioned and worked with them on his own time, and he has demonstrated some new talents I wasn’t aware he had!


No comments: