Thursday, December 25, 2008

Lincoln, by David Herbert Donald


I read this book as part of my “15 minutes a day” routine, where I read something I may normally not read at least 15 minutes each day. While this is a book I normally would have read anyway, I did read it in small portions of approximately 15 minutes each day.

While I perhaps normally would not include this book in this report, I feel I did develop several thoughts as a result of reading this book.

Some of the thoughts I developed as a result of reading this book and their use in my daily work are:

-Lincoln demonstrated that a person can develop in his position and a person can “grow to fill the position”. I have noticed this in my work and it reminds me to consider more than just the obvious in appointing persons to positions. Sometimes a person who may not have “traditional” qualifications for a position may bring insights that make them a success in the position.

-The importance of infrastructure. While not a major part of this book, I noted throughout that Lincoln supported infrastructure development. As I read the book, I developed a greater appreciation for infrastructure and the results of providing and maintaining a decent infrastructure. While I have always known the importance of infrastructure, this book again emphasized the need for providing and maintaining infrastructure.

-The importance of listening and considering all views, but the leader makes the final decision. Lincoln was a master at listening to all sides.

-The story of Lincoln agonizing over decisions was an inspiration to me in the sense that many times I agonize over a decision where there is no “right” answer. I think everyone does to some extent. While I realized years ago that agonizing over a decision was perfectly ok, (once the decision is made, go on), the story of Lincoln and his decision process helps to know that even great leaders don’t automatically know the right decisions.

=The story of Lincoln and his generals is always a lesson in leadership and management. I say parallels in the generals that “wouldn’t fight”, but asked for more and more resources and distorted the difficulties while not accomplishing their goals with past City personnel!

-“Goal is to find and fight Lee’s army, not capture Richmond”. I have pondered this while exercising etc. Lincoln continually advised his generals the “goal” wasn’t to capture Richmond, but to fight and win the war.

While it doesn’t make it any easier, I have examined (and somewhat improved) my leadership on how City personnel define their goals. Their goals should incorporate the goals of the Board of Commissioners and City Manager.

-Thinking before you act. The stories of Lincoln writing a critical letter and then never sending it again emphasizes the concept of thinking before you act. One of my problems with e-mail is there isn’t the automatic review time of reading the printed letter and signing it.

-Suffering is ok. Lincoln suffered with the army and the negative impact of his decisions. However, while fully aware, he kept his focus on the goal.

-Lincoln set his goal (keeping the Union) and basically made all of his decisions based on how best to reach the goal. He was never dissuaded and avoided taking the “easy compromise” to reach the long-term goal. I hadn’t realized until reading this book, just how his only goal in the War Between the States was keeping the Union.

-The narrative on reconstruction of the South and the plans for the South after the war was over have obvious parallels with current events and, at a lesser level, for local government. How do you handle the situation after you have “won”? How to you avoid the “Iraq” type events where you never really “win” because you are always fighting segments whose only focus is destroying and have never really become incorporated into the organizational structure. (I don’t know, but it does make me think a lot about this in an organizational and community sense.)

My method of reading this book took me months to actually read the book. Each morning I looked forward to my time with Lincoln and I am sure I will feel a vacuum in my life, although I am starting another book about Lincoln right away! Of course, I will have to find another subject for may “15 minutes of reading something I normally wouldn’t”, since I am currently reading another book about Lincoln and have several in my stack of “books to be read” on Lincoln!

No comments: