Sunday, October 5, 2008

Robert Fulghum (Questions of Life)

The speaker started off with a demonstration of gestures (without words) and asked the audience to start singing the words and following when they knew what song he was signing.

The audience quickly joined in (one person almost as soon as the first gesture started). The speaker noted about “three people” in the audience of roughly 200 people didn’t understand, and we must be “International” attendees.

Even after he explained the song was “Isty Bisty Spider” and that “everyone” knew it, I realized I had never consciously heard or remembered it.

I mentioned this to my wife and she said “Everyone” knew the song and to ask my 6 and 8 year old granddaughters.

Sure enough last night I called my 8 year old granddaughter and asked if she knew the “spider song” and she immediately started singing the entire song. (My 6-year-old granddaughter was crying in the background for the chance to sing it also).

The speaker was trying to demonstrate that we all retain a lot of information in our memory that can be accessed.

What I learned was that no one knows everything, and, again, it demonstrates the importance of involving as many people as possible in solving a problem and the importance of comments and suggestions! I was reminded again of the importance of public input and the persons who serve on volunteer Boards and Commissions and how valuable their contribution of knowledge and information is.

Perhaps appropriately, Robert Fulghum is the author of “All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten” and, yes, I am one of those persons who never attended Kindergarten!

He also emphasized, in a story telling method that:

1. We need to be primarily concerned with “taking care of our own corner of the world”. (although he didn’t really say so, I assume we need to do this before we concern ourselves with things we don’t have any control over, or, even if we do, set priorities for what we are primarily responsible for.).

2. Asked some “questions of life” that we learn as children (again, my Mother never used these questions on me, but I am familiar with the context.)_

-WHAT are you doing!

-WHO do you think you are!

-WHAT are you going to do next?
He mentioned these are questions we need to ask at any age.

This session kind of grew on me as time has passed (now two weeks) and I find myself seeing and using some of his “questions” and information in both my personal and office interaction.

I never have read his books, but I will make it a point to read, or at least review them. They may be more meaningful and useful than I realized.

No comments: