Sunday, September 14, 2008

Walter Isaacson, Einstein

Walter Isaacson, Einstein

This biography of Einstein was an interesting read. My knowledge of Einstein was just general in nature and I was pleased at how I picked up some concepts and ideas that I can use and ponder on.

Reading about his social life and marriages etc., I have to think that such behavior is not new. I have heard all my life about how the "new generation" is so much worse than the old generation and this illustrates that this is false. Also, it indicates that genius does not necessarily mean you have common sense.

The author makes an interesting observation that Einstein and the Theory of Relatively (and other concepts at the time) created a major cultural change, a paradigm change that a "dismissal of certainties, an abandonment of absolutes "help cut society adrift from its traditional moorings".

He notes the "mechanical universe of Isaac Newton, based on absolute certainties had formed the psychological foundation" of current beliefs. The Theory of Relativity stated it was all relative. In addition, forces such as World War I, the breakdown and social hierarchies etc., contributed to a basic cultural change.

Probably the current population has lived through a massive change, not necessarily the same, with the advent of the Internet, terrorism, and similar factors. Even now, sometimes I stop and think and I am stunned by the changes just in my lifetime. (The ability to have "personalized everything"-iPods, DVD recording etc. is probably creating a massive cultural shift that, even as it seems we live in a "fast-forward" world, bigger change is coming. Certainly terrorism has a major change on our culture. .

Also, some of the comments about Einstein and anti Semite views of much of the population, the resulting creating of a Country based on a religion etc. raised some questions in my mind about race and racial attitudes. (No answers though!) While I hadn't thought of the Jewish religion as a racial group, apparently this one of the thoughts of that time. There was a lot of discussion on "assimilation" versus a separate Country and how this has substantially affected world history since 1947.

The author mentioned that Jewish persons in Germany generally considered themselves "German" with a Jewish religion until the "blaming" and anti-Jewish actions started. That (obviously) changed the way they viewed themselves. I think, almost 100 years later, this is an important point, perhaps for continued emphasis on diversity etc.

The role of the media was evident at that time also. The media "popularized" Einstein's theory (perhaps made even more interesting by the fact that few really understood it).

Another important point (emphasized in another Einstein biography also) is that Einstein's "mistakes" were frequently as important as his successes. He felt that "mistakes" were a way of finding the truth and didn't let the time "wasted" concern him. In fact, many of his mistakes pointed the way to successes.

I also noted that Einstein made his major contributions at the start of his career, when he did not accept many of the "truths" of science. Late on in life, he demonstrated that, like others when he was younger, even he failed at times since he found it difficult to reject basic "truths" he had come to accept. (This point in Kuhn's, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions-I first read this in graduate school in my first course and I have noted the theory to be true time and time again-I try to make sure I don't make the same mistake of thinking just because I have found something to be true, that it is true.)

The Atomic Bomb and Einstein’s role in it surprised me. The scientists actually had to keep trying to get the politicians and government officials to take action and recognize the importance of the possible Atomic Bomb. Several times, the message almost got lost before it got to President Roosevelt, who recognized the potential.

Einstein and others also forcefully bought up the "ethics" of the Atomic Bomb after they realized it was probably going to be successful. I think the point of ethical considerations has to be considered in technological advances or any advances, including substantial personnel changes and "downsizing". In the case of the Atomic Bomb, I can't say that Einstein was correct, but I think he did make an important point that the impact on civilization etc. should be a serious consideration.

Overall, the book was interesting and provided insights as noted. I think the book also emphasized the importance of open discussion of theories and projects. I'd have to say the importance of "brainstorming”, where nothing is considered right or wrong until proven is the point.


No comments: