Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chris Matthews, Life's a Campaign

Chris Matthews, Life’s a Campaign (completed April 27, 2008)

This was an entertaining and contained more valuable thoughts than I expected. Some of them are the “ah ha, I should have known that”.

Some of his comments and thoughts that caught my attention were:

-Best of politicians have an instinct for noticing what people actually do.

-Politicians have learned the lesson that “if you want something you have to ask for it”. (This is something I have to keep reminding myself, to ask on behalf of the City
and myself.)
-More failure you can accept, more chances of success! (encouraging!)

-You can’t win unless you are in the game.

-Not everyone is going to like you!

-***You can’t let someone else define who you are-Have to have an inner place where peo;le can’t get to you!

-Never underestimate loyalty, friendship, Investment and knowledge. These are all valuable, but it is personal relationships that hold everything together.
-Within reason, I agree with this.

-Listening is a key talent. (This is definitely correct. I am going to remind all personnel of this and remind myself when I may tend to not listen.)

-Listening is flattery

-If you Listen you really hear what they say.

-Recognize problems quickly if you LISTEN

(I have found this to be true since my first day in City government. Not listening creates problems. If I listen, I do hear the person even if I disagree. While I love e-mail, sometimes I don’t think I “listen” as well to e-mail.)

Best politicians listen, pay attention, take in interest in other people.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE

-Positive shows Strength! Optimism sells!

(He gives examples of this in Reagan, Carter etc.. Looking back I can really see the truth in this and will work at making this part of my personal approach and the City culture.

Politicians “ASK”- Contributions are ‘bonding” and an investment in the politician (cause etc.).

-This can also be explaned to a City, community or neighborhood-volunteers invest in it and become more interested and involved.

-Chance to become INVOLVED is important

On the other hand-“don’t just show up when you want something”. Spend time investing in people (Like a bank account, have to invest if you want to eventually withdraw”.

Some years ago, I had a friend who said “friendships take time and I work at my friendships”. She had friendships lasting years and demonstrates this.

If you are criticized, don’t take it personal.

Play to strengths you have, especially those your rival doesn’t have. Turn shortcomings into assets. (he uses Reagan as an excellent example of this.)

-This is familiar from the book “Now Discover your Strengths”.

**** 10 second rule. Don’t respond when angry. Wait 10 seconds and simply say “that’s interesting” or similar.

-Obviously this is a vital rule for anyone, although some responses take me more time than 10 seconds!

Don’t fight someone your own size –Take on someone more powerful so you will enhance your own power.

-This may not apply in many cases!

Recognize the “magic of association” (Birds of a feather etc.)

Keep expectations low, so that anything you do looks good! Avoid never meeting expectations!

-I can see his point, but… (Later on, he says, for yourself to “aim high!”. This is more to the point of not “overpromising”, which I agree with.)

Admit mistakes and problems quickly-Confess quickly!

-I agree with this and I try to encourage all personnel to admit mistakes or problems quickly-the quicker I know, the faster I can do something about it. One thing I tell new hires is I HAVE to know the mistake and the bad news. The good news is nice, but I have to know the bad news.

Defend your Reputation strongly

-Realize people actually BELIEVE unfair attacks. Unfair attacks work!
-Act quickly to defend yourself to friends and supporters. Don’t worry about your enemies.

3. When you’re in a hole, stop digging! (Change the subject!)

(I think his comments here are especially appropriate for some positions. For City Manager, I’d have to think a little. I never “debate by press” etc. or usually respond to low-level attacks. I feel like it just calls attention to lies etc.

Aim High-Choose a top role model!

Speaking in Public:

-Outline your key points

-More than 10 minutes, less than 20 minutes (depends)

Six parts of a Speech:

-Ice breaker
-The Tease (provocative glimpse of speech topic)
-Anecdote time!
-Download (present your message)
-Relief (tell light story)
-Send off!

In the end, the mission is to be able to answer the question “Why am I doing this!”
This was a valuable and interesting book with a lot of good thoughts. I am going to come back to it after I have time to think over the points and discuss them. This is one of those books that I take a point and think about it, perhaps practice it and then revisit and expand on the point

No comments: